How are the heights measured?
All tree, and nothin' but the tree! We measure from the top of the soil to the top of the tree; the height of the container or the root system is never included in our measurements.
What is a gallon container?
Nursery containers come in a variety of different sizes, and old-school nursery slang has stuck. While the industry-standard terminology is to call the sizes "Gallon Containers", that doesn't exactly translate to the traditional liquid "gallon" size we think of. You'll find we carry young 1-gallons, up to more mature 7-gallons ranging anywhere from 6 inches to 6ft.
How does the delivery process work?
All of our orders ship via FedEx Ground! Once your order is placed online, our magic elves get right to work picking, staging, boxing and shipping your trees. Orders typically ship out within 2 business days. You will receive email notifications along the way on the progress of your order, as well as tracking information to track your plants all the way to their new home!
Why are some states excluded from shipping?
The short & sweet answer is: "United States Department of Agriculture Restrictions." Every state has their own unique USDA restrictions on which plants they allow to come into their state. While we wish we could serve everyone, it's for the safety of native species and helps prevent the spread of invasive disease & pests. We've gotta protect good ole' Mother Nature, after all.
Your plants deserve the best, and Nature always knows best – that’s why we recommend you use 100% organic materials for your trees and shrubs. The Tree Center’s All-Organic Complete Fertilizer is prepared and blended from natural organic sources to deliver a perfect balance of all the major nutrients and micro-nutrients plants need. As well, as a concentrated source of organic material, it builds the structure of your soil, improving drainage and nutrient-holding capacity. Choose it for perfect growth and a garden full of vigorous, healthy plants bursting with blooms.
- Entirely organic source of all plant nutrients
- Balanced levels of N:P:K for ideal plant development
- Full spectrum of micro-nutrients for healthy plants
- Organic content improves your soil as well
- Use in conjunction with Probiotic Root Stimulant when planting
There are endless uses for our All-Organic Complete Fertilizer around your garden, from planting to lawn care. Use it alone or with our Probiotic Root Stimulant when planting trees, shrubs, screens and hedges. Make the perfect mulch from low-nutrient organic material like leaves or peat-moss, turning them into the equivalent of rich animal manures. Boost the growth of your planters and pots the natural way, by adding it to the planting soil, and restoring growth in spring by sprinkling it over the top. Make your lawn as good as your beds by using it as organic lawn food. It restores the vigor of older plants too.
- Plant Hardiness Zones 3-10
Go organic in your garden with our All-Organic Complete Fertilizer. It is all you need to optimize the growth of your trees and shrubs – whether they are newly planted or already established. All around your garden, whatever you are doing, this is all you need to see lush green foliage, shrubs smothered in blooms, and healthy, vigorous trees. Whether you are preparing shrub beds, planting trees, putting in hedges, mulching plants, renovating your lawn, filling planters or trimming overgrown shrubs, this is exactly what you need. When your plants need the boost of a balanced food, choose an organic source and avoid the limitations and problems of harsh chemical fertilizers.
We regularly urge you to add organic material to your soil, to improve it, and to provide plant nutrients. But with new trees that process can take time, and there is a limit to the levels of nutrients made available just from organic material. There can be enough for survival, but not for optimal growth. The role of fertilizers is to boost those levels to give you the most rapid, healthy growth possible. Chemical fertilizers can encourage unhealthy, disease and pest-prone growth, but if we turn to organic sources those problems disappear, and the gentle power of organic breakdown releases a steady supply, without overfeeding, and does a better job than the fanciest chemical slow-release fertilizers available. Because it relies on microbial soil action, availability speeds up during warm weather, when the microbes are most active, and slows down in cool or dry weather, when the plants have stopped growing. Nothing is wasted, and your plants are never over-stimulated.
What is All-Organic Complete Fertilizer?
Our carefully-crafted product delivers balanced levels of all three major plant nutrients. Put simply, Nitrogen (N) delivers green leaves and encourages stem growth. Phosphate (P) feeds the growing points of both roots and stems, encouraging extensive root development and branching, while Potassium (K) encourages blooming and fruit development, as well as giving resistance to pests, diseases and winter cold. Delivered through the breakdown of the organic materials in this fertilizer, burning simply never happens, and the growth responses are natural, but significant – you will really see the difference.
The great value of using organic sources is that they come with all the necessary micro-elements, which are as essential to plants as vitamins are to us. Organic forms are natural chelates, so they remain available in all soil conditions – chemical forms are often locked-up by soil conditions, and must be provided in expansive, lab-made forms. Nature’s lab brings them to us as she intended them to be – all natural. Iron (Fe) brings us green, healthy leaves, while the other micro-elements are needed for the many enzyme functions that give healthy growth to our plants.
All-Organic Complete Fertilizer and Your Soil
Since the Tree Center All-Organic Complete Fertilizer relies on the decomposition of organic material derived from 100% natural sources for its power, it also acts as a powerful soil conditioner. The gums and resins released as it breaks down act as binders to clay particles in your soil, improving drainage and aeration, preventing root diseases and enhancing winter survival. Wet, low-oxygen soil is death to many plants, and if you have clay soil it is a common problem. The solution is to enhance the structure of the soil, and our organic fertilizer does that while feeding your plants at the same time.
Finding top-quality organic material for bed preparation and planting trees has become increasingly difficult. If you have a smaller garden you can’t make quantities of home-made compost, and properly-prepared animal manures can often only be found in the countryside. Peat moss is widely available, but it is a low-grade material, with very limited nutrients. Leaves from fall are useful, but they are slow to break-down and release their goodness. If, when preparing beds, you add some of our All-Organic Complete Fertilizer to lower-grade materials like peat and leaves, it provides the missing richness, and turns them into powerful and effective soil conditioners and fertilizers – it’s that simple.
Where Should I Use All-Organic Complete Fertilizer?
This versatile product has so many uses around the garden that you will always want to have some available. Here are some places where it is invaluable. See below for application rates:
- Add it to the backfill soil when planting new shrubs and trees. Mix it with our Probiotic Soil Stimulant, especially when planting into degraded soils
- Mix it with chopped leaves to make a powerful and nutritious mulch to spread over your beds. This is so much better than using bark or wood chips, as it feeds your trees as well as conserving moisture
- Top-dress your lawn with natural nutrients by using this fertilizer, alone or mixed with peat-moss. Mix with sand if your soil has a high clay content
- Add it to potting soil for heavy-feeders like roses and large shrubs in planters and pots. Mix into the potting soil, and sprinkle over the top of established plants in spring
- Restore vigor to older plants, especially after trimming back. Mulch and Organic Fertilizer will help older plants recover from trimming, and quickly have them growing vigorously and looking perfect again.
Using the Tree Center All-Organic Complete Fertilizer
- For bed preparation, use one 12-ounce bag for every 8 square feet
- For hedges, use one 12-ounce bag for every 10 feet of length
- For lawns, use one 12-ounce bag for every 60 square feet
- For tree planting, mix up to one 12-ounce bag into the backfill soil, depending on the size of your tree. As a guide, use one-third of a bag for a trees 3-feet tall or less, and two-thirds of a bag for 6-foot trees. Add any remaining material to the mulch applied after planting
- For planters, add one-quarter of a bag for a 12-inch pot. Recommended for heavy-feeding plants like roses and most flowering shrubs. Not suitable for acid-loving plants.
- We recommend also using our Probiotic Soil Stimulant when planting, to provide the necessary microbes and initiators for breakdown, especially in urban situations and soils degraded by recent construction