How are the heights measured?
All tree, and nothin' but the tree! We measure from the top of the soil to the top of the tree; the height of the container or the root system is never included in our measurements.
What is a gallon container?
Nursery containers come in a variety of different sizes, and old-school nursery slang has stuck. While the industry-standard terminology is to call the sizes "Gallon Containers", that doesn't exactly translate to the traditional liquid "gallon" size we think of. You'll find we carry young 1-gallons, up to more mature 7-gallons ranging anywhere from 6 inches to 6ft.
How does the delivery process work?
All of our orders ship via FedEx Ground! Once your order is placed online, our magic elves get right to work picking, staging, boxing and shipping your trees. Orders typically ship out within 2 business days. You will receive email notifications along the way on the progress of your order, as well as tracking information to track your plants all the way to their new home!
Why are some states excluded from shipping?
The short & sweet answer is: "United States Department of Agriculture Restrictions." Every state has their own unique USDA restrictions on which plants they allow to come into their state. While we wish we could serve everyone, it's for the safety of native species and helps prevent the spread of invasive disease & pests. We've gotta protect good ole' Mother Nature, after all.
Go beyond the basics and give your tree the best possible start in life. This hand-blended mix of vital components has been crafted to give your tree everything it needs to establish itself in your garden and thrive during the critical establishment period of growth. This product contains a carefully-selected blend of materials known to speed up establishment of newly-planted trees and help them adapt to their new home. DIEHARD mix contains many beneficial components, that work together to make your tree planting a great success.
- Mycorrhizal fungi work to produce essential nutrients
- Beneficial bacteria condition the soil and create a nurturing environment
- Kelp improves drainage and releases trapped nutrients
- Trichoderma fungi prevent the growth of harmful root diseases
- Horta-Sorb® Gel prevents transplant-shock and unexpected dryness
With DIEHARD your tree will have the best possible start in its life with you – no set-back from transplanting, no shocks as it establishes in a new environment and adjusts to the unique conditions of your garden. With the support of this product your trees will begin to grow immediately, and achieve their maximum potential right away.
- Plant Hardiness Zones 3-10
Planting time is a crucial moment in the life of a new tree. It starts with basic soil preparation which should consist of the removal of weed and their roots, the addition of organic material to the soil and adding a source of mineral phosphates. But there are a host of other factors that can determine just how well your new tree will establish itself and how soon it will begin to grow as you want it to. DIEHARD Transplant Fertilizer has been specially designed to provide a full range of support for any tree during this critical period. Modern science has shown how complex the relationship is between trees and soil, and the exact role of different fungi and bacteria in supporting trees in a complex web of life. The establishment of the correct soil ecology, especially in urban sites and new developments, is necessary for optimal tree growth. This can take a long time to develop after planting. However with DIEHARD Transplant Fertilizer all the components needed for that process are placed right at the roots of your tree, so that the natural relationships are quickly established and your tree can immediately begin to grow at its full capacity.
DIEHARD Transplant Fertilizer is a hand-blended mix of several carefully-chosen components that has been crafted to give your tree everything it needs to establish itself in your garden and thrive during the critical establishment period of growth. This product draws on the latest science and contains a selected blend of organisms and materials that are proven to speed up establishment of newly-planted trees and help them adapt to their new home.
The numerous beneficial components work together to make your planting a great success, and include the following:
- Mycorrhizal fungi. These organisms are well known among professional landscapers as essential for proper tree nutrition. Although some soils contain them naturally, most soils, especially in urban areas and new developments, lack these natural organisms that work with the roots of your tree to take in soil minerals and produce essential nutrients.
- Beneficial bacteria. This blend of beneficial bacteria is vital for the full breakdown of organic material and the formation of healthy soil. They are combined in the blend with humic acid, a natural form of organic matter, and by working together they condition the soil and create a nurturing environment for your new tree.
- Kelp. Wild kelp algae, harvested from the ocean, binds with clay in the soil, to improve drainage and release trapped nutrients. Seaweed has been used for centuries in many cultures as a soil conditioner and is one of the best natural resources available to improve soil.
- Trichoderma fungi. This group of fungi has been used in professional potting soils for over a decade, to naturally control root diseases that once required the application of large amounts of pesticides in nurseries. These are amazing soil organisms that actually prevent the growth of harmful root diseases and create a healthy root environment. Any root damage that may occur during planting can be an opening for disease, but with these fungi present the diseases will not be able to establish themselves.
- Horta-Sorb® Gel. This is a hi-tech product that holds many times its weight in water, yet does not interfere with drainage. When you water you tree during planting, the gel absorbs extra water and holds it close to the roots. As the soil around the roots dries the gel releases water, preventing transplant-shock and unexpected dryness as the new roots grow out into the surrounding soil. This gel is used extensively in forestry and commercial planting of tree seedlings into hostile environments, so you can be sure it will protect your tree too.
To use DIEHARD Transplant Fertilizer, simply sprinkle the contents of the package around the roots of your tree as you plant, to gain the many benefits this product brings, and see for yourself how well your new tree establishes and grows. Your tree will become established immediately, without any checks to growth, and it will burst into rapid growth, without disease or nutrient issues.